Mount Gambier Greyhound Racing Club

Tara Raceway, Lake Terrace East, Mount Gambier, SA

Major Sponsors

Cadillac Racing Sponsors of Mount Gambier Greyhound Racing

Virus hits local greyhound meetings

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

With new cases of canine gastroenteritis being diagnosed nationally each day, Greyhound Racing SA this week rolled out strategies across the state in an effort to manage the virus and mitigate the risk of further infection.

This follows consultation with the Industry Consultative Group as well as other key stakeholders including the Mount Gambier Greyhound Racing Club which relies heavily on Victorian-trained greyhounds.

While it is foreseeable that GRSA may need to evolve its strategies in response to new circumstances if and when they present, as things stand at the moment nominations for greyhounds that are currently domiciled outside South Australia will not be accepted until otherwise notified.

Also, no exemption will be given for veterinary certification which is negative to the virus.

However, an exemption will be available to interstate trainers (by application) on the condition that they agree not to trial or race in their own state while this policy remains in place.

In view of the particular impact this strategy will have on Mount Gambier greyhound racing, Thursday time-graded meetings will temporarily be cancelled – commencing with the one scheduled for March 19.

And as the national outbreak of gastroenteritis takes hold in NSW, Victoria and South Australia, participants and patrons should be aware that Sunday’s meeting at Tara Raceway has also been cancelled due to a lack of nominations.

Scroll to Top